Since 1921, Campbell Union School District (CUSD) has served children and families in Santa Clara County. Today the district includes thousands of students at 10 elementary schools (including two Transitional Kindergarten (TK)-8 schools), two middle schools and a home school program, as well as district-operated preschools.
Ensuring these students and families have access to vital health services can improve school performance, help reduce absenteeism and improve overall quality of life. With support from the Community Benefit Program, CUSD's school nurses and community liaisons focus on students' well-being to help keep them healthy, encourage school attendance and ensure they can focus on learning.
The support helps the district:
- Train teachers, administrators and other staff members on student health needs, emergency procedures and administration of medications (including lifesaving administration of epinephrine for anaphylactic reactions or Naloxone for opioid overdose)
- Develop individualized care plans for students with health concerns
- Conduct vision and hearing screenings and write health reports for students with Individual Education Plans (IEPs)
- Provide follow-up for health screenings
- Support families to reduce health-related chronic absenteeism
- Stay updated on COVID-19 protocols in Santa Clara County
- Provide vision screening for mandated grades, special education and children referred by teachers or others
- Provide two community resource fairs at Lynhaven Elementary and Rosemary Elementary
- Conduct a health fair at Monroe Middle School
Services are provided onsite at 12 schools in four cities (Campbell, Los Gatos, Saratoga and San Jose). Nurses and liaisons may link students with resources in the community as needed.
CUSD is a valuable partner in improving care access and delivery of healthcare services, identified as a critical need in our 2022 Community Health Needs Assessment.
See the complete list of FY24 grant partners.
Subscribe to get the Community Connections e-newsletter. We promise not to share your information, and we won't overload your inbox. Sign-up now.