Los Gatos, CA - July 12, 2010 - Just one year ago, hundreds of local citizens, board members, civic leaders and executives gathered for the official ribbon cutting for El Camino Hospital Los Gatos.
In an effort to bring its community model of health care delivery to Los Gatos and surrounding communities, El Camino Hospital had purchased the Los Gatos facility, previously operated by Tenet Healthcare Corp., and briefly closed it to make more than 100 key technology upgrades and train hundreds of staff and physicians. The hospital also worked closely with community groups and South Bay physicians to determine what key health services were needed. The planning and effort was coming to fruition.
Today, on the first anniversary of its opening as El Camino Hospital Los Gatos, has the hospital lived up to its promises?
The answer, says Eric Pifer, MD, chief medical officer of El Camino Hospital and president of the Los Gatos site during this first, start-up year, is an emphatic "Yes."
"El Camino Hospital Los Gatos, its employees and local communities can take real pride in a long list of significant accomplishments," said Dr. Pifer. "We provided the hospital with advanced health care technology, while preserving its warmth, friendliness and caring culture. It has been a tremendous experience for me and one of the most satisfying ventures I have undertaken in my career."
Among the first year achievements:
- Increased levels of medical service, from emergency and acute health care services to urology, radiology, orthopedics and labor and delivery.
- Investments in new technology such as digital mammography, advanced ultrasound, on-site MRI services, a daVinci robotic surgery system, and computerized medical information systems throughout the hospital.
- The opening of a Men's Health Program, the only hospital-based program in Santa Clara County focused on diagnosis and treatment of male urological issues such as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and erectile dysfunction (ED), together estimated to affect more than 200,000 men in the hospital's service areas.
- The launch of a 30-bed Rehabilitation Center, one of only three in the West Valley/San Jose area providing comprehensive intervention for patients affected by neurological disorders such as stroke, brain injury, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease and spinal cord injuries, as well as those with complex orthopedic disorders. The team of rehab nurses, physical and occupational therapists, and speech language pathologists bring a wealth of experience in restoring basic capacities necessary for day-to-day functioning.
- Strong community involvement, including the formation of a 17-member Community Advisory Committee Council; expansion of the hospital's fund raising programs to the Los Gatos area; monthly health education lectures; health screenings; sponsorships for arts and music programs in the community.
What's Next for the Hospital?
Sustained growth in hospital and emergency department utilization; diagnostic breast imaging, including breast MRI; a new vascular program; expansion and enhancements of key services such as urology, OB/GYN and rehabilitation; as well as the launch of a new orthopedic service line are in the plans as El Camino Hospital Los Gatos heads into its second year of operation.
"Thanks to our committed and hardworking employees, a loyal and growing medical staff, significant investments in operations and the support of the community in this first year, we have been able to establish a solid foundation on which we can continue to build," says Pat Wolfram, hospital administrator. "We look forward to many more years of continued growth and service to our community."