Palliative care is medical care focused on relief of the pain, symptoms and stress of serious illness — whatever your diagnosis. Research has shown that patients who receive palliative care early in their illness have fewer symptoms, can participate in treatment for longer periods of time, and have better outcomes. Our goal is to help you live comfortably and to improve quality of life for you and your family.
How Palliative Care Can Help
When you or a loved one is facing illness, you need answers, relief and support. We offer clear communication and compassionate care, while helping you and your family navigate the healthcare system.
Working closely with your medical team, we provide:
- Pain management.
- Relief from distressing symptoms such as shortness of breath, fatigue, constipation, nausea, loss of appetite and difficulty sleeping.
- Care and assistance that allows you to carry on with your daily life.
- Medication and techniques that may increase your ability to tolerate medical treatments.
- Information to give you a better understanding of your medical condition and your choices for medical care.
- Assistance with advance care planning and creating an advance healthcare directive.
- Guidance with difficult treatment choices.
- Emotional and spiritual support for you and your family.
Learn more by reading frequently asked questions about palliative care.
When to Get Palliative Care
Palliative care can help you through all stages of illness. It’s most beneficial when introduced early in your care. You can begin palliative care during your hospital stay or after being discharged.
When you are ready to go home, you may be able to continue palliative care through your doctor’s medical group or a community clinic where available. Just ask your doctor for a referral. If it is difficult to go to a clinic, you may qualify for a home palliative care program such as that provided by El Camino Health’s partner, Pathways Home Health, Hospice & Private Duty, or a palliative care program delivered by home health or hospice agencies in your community.
For more information, call the El Camino Health palliative care team at 650-988-7624 or email us.
The palliative care program is supported by donations to El Camino Hospital Foundation.