Lifestyle medicine can have the greatest impact on diseases and conditions including:
- Type II diabetes.
- Prediabetes and metabolic syndrome.
- Heart disease.
- High blood pressure.
- High cholesterol.
- Unhealthy weight.
- Fatty liver.
You know your lifestyle and behavior — the decisions you make every day — can affect your health and even shorten your life. Lifestyle medicine is an evidence-based medical specialty that can help you make the right changes to improve your health, manage or eliminate chronic conditions, reduce the need for medications and feel your best. And you don’t have to change primary care doctors or give up other treatments that are working.
The six pillars of lifestyle medicine are:
- Adopting a nutrient-dense, plant-predominate eating pattern.
- Optimizing and individualizing physical activity plans.
- Improving sleep.
- Managing stress with healthy coping strategies.
- Forming and maintaining relationships.
- Cessation of tobacco use and other unhealthy habits.
At El Camino Health Lifestyle Medicine, we build on this foundation to create a clinically managed personalized plan just for you, tailored to your needs, current health status, goals, preferences and life situation.
Unique features of our approach include:
- Lifestyle assessment and tracking to provide you insights in over 25 areas such as heart age, fitness age and numerous nutritional indices.
- Team Care with our nutritionist, exercise specialist, and one of our three Lifestyle Medicine physicians.
- Deep focus on positive psychology and coaching methods to support behavior change.
- Personalized meal plans and recipes crafted to your time, your tastes and your budget.
- Culinary medicine and classes that include cooking demonstrations.
For Adults at Every Age and Stage of Life
Just about anyone who wants to improve or maintain their health can benefit from a lifestyle medicine consultation and treatment plan — because anyone can benefit from making healthy life changes, and most people need help making them.
Lifestyle medicine could help you:
- Reduce medication burden and side effects.
- Maintain vigor and vitality as you age.
- Reduce the risk from a family history of heart disease, stroke or other life-threatening conditions.
The first step is reaching out to our lifestyle medicine team and an appointment will be made with one of our Lifestyle Medicine physicians.
Take the First Step
We are here to support you. Our multi-disciplinary Lifestyle Medicine team is accepting new patients and offering telephone and virtual visits during shelter in place. To schedule a consult with a Lifestyle Medicine Physician, please call 650-962-4392. You can also reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To establish care with our Primary Care Physicians, please call 408-871-5050. Whatever your risks, health status, age, stage of life or personal goals, it is now more important than ever to build everyday lifestyle habits that improve your health and reduce your risk for disease. Learn more about our COVID-19 measures.