Mountain View, CA - February 1, 2011 - El Camino Hospital is offering a "hearty" menu of activities during Heart Month, all of them free to the public. From lectures and free vascular consults to a recipe contest and the hospital's popular Day of Dance event, there's something for everyone in the comprehensive list of events. Activities include:
- iHeartRecipes Contest, Feb 1-17: (both campuses): Submit a favorite heart healthy recipe for a chance to win a $500 Whole Foods gift certificate, a Life Line Screening worth $149, a special Grand Prize Dinner and more. Contest updates and weekly winners will be announced on the El Camino Hospital Facebook page.
- "Heart Disease Prevention: How Snoring Harms the Heart", Feb. 2, 7-8 p.m., (Los Gatos Conference Room 1): A discussion of how snoring can cause an accumulation of carbon dioxide in the blood that is toxic for the heart as well as the brain.
- Wear Red, Feb. 4, (everywhere): Show your support for heart disease awareness month by wearing red to work, even if it's red socks or shoes.
- "What's New in Varicose Vein Treatment", Feb. 9, 12:30 -1:30 p.m., (Mountain View Cafeteria): Those twisted, enlarged veins near the skin surface usually aren't serious, but they can sometimes lead to other problems. Listen to a 45-minute presentation followed by Q/A.
- "An Evening of Vascular Care", Feb.16, 5-7p.m, (Mountain View Conference Rooms E &F): All about vascular disease and basic treatments for aneurysms, stroke prevention, wound care, ulcer management, leg swelling and various veins. Includes an opportunity to speak directly with healthcare professionals about your personal concerns.
- "Understanding Vascular Care and the Latest in non-Invasive Procedures", Feb. 22, 12:30-1:30 p.m. (Los Gatos Conference Rooms 2 & 3): Gain a better understanding of the latest vascular care options, including a free vein consult.
- Day of Dance, Feb. 26, 1:30-4:30 p.m. (St. Francis High School Gymnasium, 1885 Miramonte Ave., Mountain View): Join women and men of all ages for a day of celebration, education, fun and dancing ranging from line dancing to Zumba. Includes eight free heart health screenings, individual physician consultations, heart health information and more. The event is free and registration is required.
Sponsors include KGO, Silicon Valley Community Newspapers and El Camino Hospital Foundation.
The many Heart Month events showcase some of the community's outstanding cardiac experts, including cardiovascular disease specialist Dr. Durga Madala; Mountain View vascular surgeons Dr. Raymond Shaheen and Dr. Tej Singh; and Dr. Hardeep Ahluwali, Medical Director of Vascular Surgery for El Camino Hospital Los Gatos.