Insurance Counseling Services
Since October 2013, California has a new healthcare exchange marketplace — Covered California — created under the Affordable Care Act. You can visit the website to:
- Compare health plan benefits and costs.
- Purchase a health insurance plan.
- Find out if you qualify for free or lower-cost health coverage and apply online.
- Get in-person help in your area, including assistance from enrollment counselors, insurance agents and more.
Or, you can call 800-300-1506 for assistance. Online, in-person and assistance by phone are all free and confidential.
Special Assistance for Seniors
At El Camino Hospital, the Health Library & Resource Center provides free insurance counseling to help older adults make informed choices about health insurance.
Health insurance counseling is available through the efforts of trained volunteers of the Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP). HICAP is provided through Sourcewise, a community-based program that coordinates services and support systems for adults in Santa Clara County.
Our counselors can help you with:
- Information about Medicare and Medi-Cal programs.
- Explanations and comparisons of Medicare supplemental and long-term care insurance policies.
- Reviews of your insurance benefits and rights, and advice on how to appeal denials of coverage.
- Completing claims and appeals.
- Understanding your hospital bill or doctor bills.