Radiation Therapy at El Camino Health
When it comes to the most sophisticated technology, El Camino Health's Radiation Therapy department is second to none. We're proud to offer the full spectrum of leading-edge treatments that are typically found exclusively in large academic institutions. We believe in a holistic, integrated approach to care with dedicated oncology nurse navigators, dietitians, psychologists and social workers available to assist you throughout your treatment.
Our radiation oncologists provide consultation at both our Mountain View and Los Gatos campuses. Radiation Therapy treatments are provided at our Mountain View hospital. We work with you and your care team to tailor the best possible individualized treatment plan.
When you come to El Camino Health, you can take comfort in knowing that you're being cared for by a team of kind and compassionate experts who are pioneers in their field and have over 25 years of experience.
Some of our accomplishments include:
- First in Northern California to perform partial breast radiotherapy using the Mammosite® brachytherapy system
- Fifth hospital in the nation, and first on the west coast, to use Ethos™ — a revolutionary, new system that 'adapts' the treatment plan to daily changes in the anatomy
- First program in Northern California to use GammaTile® — intraoperative brachytherapy for recurrent brain tumors
- Pioneers in real-time prostate brachytherapy, with one of the most active programs in the country
- Assisted in the development of Capri™ — a conformable multi-lumen brachytherapy device for the treatment of gynecological malignancies
- One of the few hospital-based clinics in the U.S. offering prostate cancer radiosurgery — a highly targeted treatment option that reduces treatment duration from 44 sessions to just four
- Pioneers in the use of electronic brachytherapy for the treatment of skin cancer — our doctors have treated over 5,000 patients with this technique
- First in Northern California to use SpaceOar™ — a bioabsorbable gel placed between the prostate and rectum that markedly reduces side effects of prostate cancer treatment
Our Radiation Services
Some of the radiation treatment options available at El Camino Health include:
- Adaptive Radiation Therapy (Varian Ethos™) - We are the only center in Northern California to offer this treatment.
- Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (Varian RapidArc®) - This is the most advanced form of intensity modulated therapy.
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (Varian Edge™) - This can be used to treat cancers of the prostate, lung, liver, spine, pancreas, and malignant and benign brain lesions.
- 4D Localization System Radiation Therapy (Calypso®)
- Brachytherapy (Varian Bravos™) - We offer both high dose rate (HDR) brachytherapy and low dose rate (LDR) brachytherapy for prostate cancer.
What Is Radiation Therapy?
Radiation therapy uses radioactive beams or substances to alter the DNA in cancer cells to interrupt cell reproduction. Recent advances allow radiation to be delivered with great precision to eliminate tumors without damaging surrounding healthy tissue.