Start your morning right with this heart-healthy breakfast!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 red bell peppers (diced)
- 6 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- ½ cup plain, fat-free Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon harissa (hot chili pepper paste)
- Combine olive oil, tomato paste, harissa, onions, red peppers, garlic, cumin and salt in a large pan. Cover and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes or until the peppers and onions are soft. Stir occasionally.
- Mix in canned tomatoes and change heat to simmer. Cook without cover for 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Crack eggs and put into tomato mixture one at a time, spacing them apart evenly. Simmer without cover for 10 minutes or until eggs are cooked over-medium.
- Serve the eggs in the sauce with Greek yogurt and Parmesan cheese on the side.
This article first appeared in the February 2022 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.