Juicy mangoes are at their peak in June and July, and this colorful, delicious salad makes a perfect lunch or light dinner. The feta and pepitas are optional, but add even more flavor and a delicious crunch to make this a satisfying vegetarian side dish or main entree.
- ¾ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed until water runs clear
- 1 large bunch of kale, washed and with stems and ribs removed, cut into small strips
- 2 medium mangoes, peeled and cut into cubes (about 2 ½ - 3 cups)
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced and soaked in ice water for 20 minutes
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and diced
- Handful of mixed herbs, such as basil and mint, finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon lime juice, divided
- 1 Tablespoon orange juice
- ¼ cup plus 1 one Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
Optional for serving:
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 2-3 Tablespoons roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Add quinoa and 1 ½ cups of water to a medium size pan and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water – about 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool for 2-3 minutes, then fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Sprinkle the kale pieces with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of lime juice. Using your hands, massage the kale thoroughly until it has softened, reduced in size by half or more, and is a bright green color. (Don't skip this step - it transforms the kale into something even the pickiest eaters will enjoy!)
- Whisk together the remaining lime juice and olive oil, along with the orange juice, garlic, honey and herbs until completely combined. Add freshly ground pepper and sea salt to taste, and whisk again.
- Line a large, shallow salad bowl with the kale greens, and mound the quinoa on top of it. Drizzle about half of the vinaigrette over the top.
- Combine the mango, tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion together in a large bowl, and toss with the remaining vinaigrette, then add to salad bowl and toss gently to combine.
- If desired, sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese and pepitas and serve immediately.
This article first appeared in the June 2023 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.