Try this nutritious recipe!
- ½ large red onion, finely diced
- 1 pinch each salt & pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 15-oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- ¾ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup finely grated raw beet
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup raw walnuts, crushed
- 8 whole grain hamburger buns
- Sliced avocado
- Sliced red onion
- Sliced tomatoes
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat with a bit of water. Add the onion, a pinch each of salt and pepper, and sauté for about 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Turn up the heat to medium and add the mushrooms. Season with another pinch of salt and pepper and cook until the mushrooms and onions are slightly browned and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add black beans and mash. You’re looking for a rough mash, so you can leave a bit of texture if desired.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and add the quinoa, beets, spices and stir.
- Lastly, add the crushed walnut a little at a time until the mixture is able enough to form into patties. Set in the fridge to chill while your oven preheats to 375 degrees F.
- Coat a baking sheet with non-stick spray. Form mixture into 8 even patties and arrange on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 F for a total of 30-45 minutes, gently flipping after 20 minutes.
- Serve on whole grain buns with desired fixings.