Cancer Care Patient Resources
At El Camino Health, we take a comprehensive approach to cancer care, combining the expertise of a wide range of healthcare professionals to offer you support and assistance. Our team of dedicated experts is available to assist you, your family and the doctors and nurses who care for you.
During your care, you’ll have access to a variety of services, including:
- Oncology coordinators. Our oncology coordinators guide you and your family from diagnosis through treatment. They serve as a point of contact, providing education as well as coordination of care and support tailored to your specific needs. As patient advocates, they work hard to remove barriers to care as well as to empower you to make informed decisions along the way.
- Outpatient social workers. Our experienced cancer social workers are available to provide support and help you and your family cope with cancer through advocacy, education, short-term counseling, and resource referrals.
- Access to clinical trials. We offer opportunities for patients to gain access to some of the latest treatments by participating in clinical trials. Call our clinical research department at 650-691-4894 to learn about the latest trials at El Camino Health.
- Integrative care options. Our community outreach coordinator provides information about concierge services, cancer-related resources and support groups. Call 650-988-7519 to learn more.
- Genetic counseling. Genetic counselors provide information to help create targeted treatment plans based on specific genetic profiles. They also help assess your risk for cancer and help you decide whether you should pursue further testing to determine you and your family’s cancer risk. We can connect you with genetic counselors as needed.
- Lymphedema therapy. Through our Lymphedema Program, licensed physical therapists and certified lymphedema therapists develop a personalized program that includes early management, education and hands-on therapies. For a referral, call our outpatient physical therapy department at 650-940-7285.
- Palliative care. If you’re hospitalized, your doctor may consult with our palliative care team to focus on managing symptoms of your disease and side effects of your treatment, as well as psychological, social and spiritual challenges of having cancer.
- Hospice care. Through our partnership with Pathways Home Health, Hospice & Private Duty, we provide compassionate end-of-life care and services in the comfort of your own home.
Specialized Nutrition Services
- Cancer Healthy Diet
- Nutrition Goals During Cancer Treatment
- Bowel Changes During Treatment
- Changes in Taste During Treatment
- Power Packing Your Meals
- Managing Loss of Appetite & Nausea During Treatment
At El Camino Health, our oncology dietitian offers you simple, practical steps to know what to eat before, during and after cancer treatment. Dietary recommendations are based on the latest research about nutrition and wellness.
Through our specialized nutrition counseling services, you’ll learn eating strategies to:
- Manage treatment side effects.
- Enhance your quality of life.
- Gain optimal strength and immune function.
- Prevent undesired weight loss or gain during or after treatment.
- Establish healthier lifelong eating behaviors.
- Reduce your risk of cancer recurrence.
You’re eligible for a free nutrition counseling session if you’re:
- Currently receiving outpatient radiation therapy or chemotherapy at El Camino Health.
- A former patient within one year of your last cancer treatment.
You don’t need a referral to participate, though we encourage you to let your healthcare providers know you’re interested in nutrition counseling. Call 650-962-4591 to make an appointment.