Indulge your heart this month with this heart-healthy dessert recipe for American Heart Month!
- Vegetable oil or cooking spray
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 6 slices multigrain bread, cubed
- 3 medium apples, cored and cut into ½-inch cubes
- Optional: ½ cup nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9x9 baking dish with a small amount of vegetable oil or other cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, egg white, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add bread and apple cubes to bowl. Add nuts if desired, then mix well.
- Pour mixture into baking dish and bake in oven for 45 minutes.
This article first appeared in the February 2020 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.