- 1 tsp oil
- 1-1/2 lbs lean beef round stew meat
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1 – 2 tsp kosher salt, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2/3 cup dry barley
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Heat a large heavy pot or Dutch oven on medium heat. Add oil and beef, season with a little salt. Brown meat a few minutes.
- When meat is browned, add carrots, onion, celery and garlic to the pot and give it a good stir.
- Add water, salt and bay leaves and bring to a boil. When boiling, reduce heat to low. Simmer covered over low heat until the meat is soft, about 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
- Add the barley, adjust the salt if needed and add fresh ground pepper. Simmer an additional 30-35 minutes, remove bay leaves and serve. Makes 7 1/2 cups.
This article first appeared in the February 2018 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.