- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, cut into strips
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, medium diced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 8 ounces Pico de Gallo (fresh salsa)
- 4 ounces feta cheese or queso cotija, crumbled
- In large skillet add olive oil, sauté onions, garlic and peppers for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, black beans and rice.
- Cook until the rice is thoroughly heated. Keep warm.
- In a separate bowl combine the lime juice, cabbage and cilantro.
- Place to the side to marinate.
- Heat corn tortillas in a skillet or microwave, wrap in towels or use a tortilla warmer and hold until time to serve.
- To assemble, place taco filling in the tortillas then add the slaw, topped with avocado, salsa and cheese. Serve 2 per person.
This article first appeared in the February 2017 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.