Try this nutritious recipe.
Yield: serves 2
- 1 cup water
- 1 blueberry tea bag
- 1 whole clove
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 whole allspice
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 cup non-dairy milk
- In a small saucepan, bring water, cloves, ¾ tsp cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice to a boil, whisking occasionally.
- Once boiling, turn off the heat and allow for the spices to steep for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, turn the heat back on and add the blueberry tea bag and 1 tsp honey. Return to a slight boil.
- Once slight boil has been reached, again turn off the heat and allow the tea bag to steep for 5 minutes.
- Remove tea bag and strain tea through a fine mesh strainer. Set aside. Pour milk into a microwave safe container with a cover; add the honey and remaining cinnamon. Cover and shake vigorously for 60 seconds. Place in microwave, uncovered, and heat for 45 seconds.
- Pour ½ cup of the chai tea into each mug and slowly add half the frothy milk to the tea in each mug.
- A systematic review completed in 2013 exemplified cinnamon to have a plethora of health benefits. Cinnamon was shown to have antimicrobial, antioxidant, blood sugar lowering, and anti-inflammatory activities. Further research is needed to explore the extent of healthful benefits in humans, but we don’t hesitate to add this spice to lattes, smoothies, and sweet potatoes!