Warm up this January with a healthy take on twice-baked potatoes. Filled with delicious broccoli and cheese, these spaghetti squash bowls are sure to be an instant crowd pleaser!
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved with seeds removed
- ¼ cup water
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning (or a mix of oregano, basil and thyme)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ⅓ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Place your halved spaghetti squash side by side in a microwave-safe bowl, adding about ¼ cup of water in the bottom of the bowl (water should cover the bottom of the bowl, but be no more than ¼ inch high).
- Place bowl in microwave and cook for about 10 minutes, or until squash is tender. Remove and set aside to cool (about 10 minutes).
- Coat a skillet with non-stick spray before adding red pepper flakes. Cook on medium heat for approximately 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add broccoli and garlic to skillet, stirring to combine. Add about 2 tablespoons of water to the skillet, then turn the heat to high. Saute for 3-5 minutes, or until broccoli is tender. Add skillet mixture to a large bowl, discarding any extra water.
- Take the cooled spaghetti squash and, with a fork, scrape out the “spaghetti” from the squash, adding it to the bowl with broccoli mixture. Add parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to mixture, stirring to combine.
- Add mixture back into the squash shells and sprinkle mozzarella on top of each squash half.
- Place squash shells on an oven-safe baking pan, placing under broiler on medium/high heat. Remove when cheese has bubbled and browned (typically about 2-3 minutes). Remove, let cool and enjoy!
This article first appeared in the January 2020 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.