This recipe includes butternut squash roasted in warming spices, lean turkey, and all of your favorite toppings. It can also be adapted to be entirely plant based.
Start to finish: 1 hour
- 1 package of pre-cut butternut squash- you can find in the produce section
- 1/2 cup of instant quinoa or grain of choice like farro or barley
- 1 pound of lean ground turkey
- 1 can of reduced-sodium black beans
- Fresh tomato salsa
- 1 bag of greens like kale, spinach, or arugula
- 1 bell pepper
- Shredded cheese, or nutritional yeast for a dairy-free option
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- Warming spices: 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, a pinch of nutmeg, and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a baking pan, coat butternut squash in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg on top of butternut squash. Once evenly sprinkled with spices, put into the oven and roast for 30-40 minutes or until squash is tender.
Cook 1/2 cup of instant quinoa for the allotted amount of time on the package. Once done set aside.
Mix garlic powder, cumin, pepper, and chili powder into ground turkey. As the butternut squash is roasting, cook the ground turkey in 1 tablespoon of olive oil for about 15-20 minutes on medium heat until it is no longer pink or at 165 degrees. Once ground turkey is cooked through, set aside and check the butternut squash for tenderness.
Next, rinse black beans from the the can in cold water and put in a bowl for assembly.
Prep your toppings: wash and cut bell pepper, take out your cheese of choice, salsa, and greens. Take the butternut squash out of the oven to cool. Once cool, assemble your bowl.
To make one serving, use the following:
- 1 cup of butternut squash
- 1/2 cup of ground turkey seasoned to taste
- 1/2 cup of beans, or use 1 cup if making plant-based bowl
- 1/2 cup of quinoa or grain after cooking
- 1-2 tablespoons salsa
- 1-2 tablespoons cheese or 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Unlimited amount of greens