A little chicken soup is good for the soul — but this time, try it with zucchini noodles! Test out your veggie spiralizer with this spin on a classic recipe.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp dried rosemary
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb (3 medium-sized) zucchini, spiralized*
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken to the pot and cook until browned, 2-3 minutes; set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp oil to the pot, then add garlic, onion, carrots and celery.
- Cook until tender, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes. Stir in thyme and rosemary, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in chicken stock and 2 cups of water, bringing to a boil. Stir in zucchini noodles and chicken. Reduce heat and simmer until zucchini is tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
* If you choose to spiralize your own zucchini noodles, check out the spiralizer from our list of healthy kitchen gadgets.
This article first appeared in the March 2020 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.