Prep Time: 6 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 2 slices bread of choice
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Spread or condiment of choice (choose from sundried tomato pesto, basil pesto, olive tapenade, Dijon mustard, chutney, cranberry sauce, cherry preserves, etc.)
- Sliced turkey breast (such as sliced in-store roasted turkey breast)
- Cheese of choice (choose from fresh mozzarella, brie, provolone, sharp cheddar, gruyere, gouda, etc.)
- Fruit and vegetables of choice (choose from sliced apples, sliced tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, arugula or spinach leaves, sautéed mushrooms, avocado slices, etc.)
- Start preheating a panini press or nonstick indoor grill pan over medium heat. Brush one side of the bread slices with olive oil and spread the other side with your condiment or spread of choice. Place the slice on grill pan, olive oil side down, and place the turkey slices on top.
- Top turkey with cheese of choice the top that with your fruit or vegetables of choice. Place the second slice of bread on top and brush the top side with remaining olive oil. Press the top side of the panini press down on the sandwich. Or if using a grill pan, use a heavy pan or spatula to help press it down nicely.
- When the underside is nicely brown, flip sandwich over to brown the other side. ENJOY!
- Turkey Caprese Panini (use sundried tomato pesto or olive tapenade, turkey, fresh mozzarella, tomato slices drizzled with balsamic vinegar)
- Turkey Chutney Cheddar Panini (use chutney, turkey, cheddar and apple slices or arugula)
- Turkey Apple Brie Panini (use Dijon mustard, turkey, brie and green apple slices)
- Turkey Gruyere Panini (use Dijon mustard, turkey, prosciutto, gruyere and fresh spinach leaves)
- Turkey Pesto Provolone Panini (use basil pesto, turkey, provolone and fresh spinach leaves)
This article first appeared in the November 2017 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.