Pulmonary function testing is noninvasive and measures how well your lungs move air in and out and how well they circulate gases from the atmosphere, such as oxygen, into the bloodstream. Are you:
- A smoker or do you have a history of smoking?
- A worker who wears a mask or respirator to perform a job?
- Preparing for surgery?
- Experiencing symptoms of lung conditions such as asthma, COPD or pulmonary fibrosis?
- Experiencing any new breathing symptoms?
- Currently taking a breathing medication or a medication that might be causing breathing-related side effects?
If you answered yes to one or more of the questions above, talk to your doctor about testing your pulmonary function at El Camino Hospital’s Pulmonary Function Laboratory or call 650-940-7077 for more information. (Other possible reasons for the test include allergies, chest trauma, respiratory infections and scleroderma.)
This article first appeared in the Summer 2015 edition of the El Camino Hospital Health Beat magazine.