- 4 cups water
- 2 cups pearled farro
- ½ cup halved and thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup lime juice
- 2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 1 pound Fuyu persimmons, ripe mangoes, or apples – chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups baby arugula
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine water and farro in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cover and cook until the farro is just tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain again.
- Combine onion with lime juice, vinegar and salt in a large bowl. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in persimmons (or mangoes or apples), cranberries, oil and the farro.
- Just before serving, fold in arugula. Transfer the salad to a serving platter or bowl and garnish with pepper.
To make ahead: Prepare through Step 2 and let stand at room temperature for up to 1 hour or refrigerate for up to 1 day. Finish with Step 3 just before serving.
This article first appeared in the December 2017 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.