So, it’s a good time to refresh your goals, and a great time to create new habits.
Here are five habits that if you haven’t already integrated them into your everyday life, we suggest you start now. Choose one to focus on, or challenge yourself to do them all – it’s completely up to you.
- Drink water. Drink a full glass of water each morning when you wake up. And have at least 8 glasses a day. This is a super-easy habit that can make a significant difference in how your body feels. Water hydrates your muscles and brain cells, without the added sugar found in other drinks that bogs down the body.
- Incorporate vegetables into every meal. Even if it’s tomato on your sandwich, make it your mission to add more veggies every time you eat. Not sure how to do that for breakfast? Think omelets, green juice, smoothies. You can even try healthy muffin and bread recipes using zucchini or carrots.
- Find more ways to move throughout the day. Whether it’s taking the stairs, parking further away from your destination or finding time to walk your dog – find ways to move more throughout the day. Your body and Fido will thank you.
- Create a No-Phone Zone. Come up with a plan and outline times of the day, week or weekend, where no technology is allowed. This can be during homework time, dinner time, Sunday afternoons, or overnight so there is no temptation to scroll into the wee hours of the morning. Just set a rule and stick to it.
- Communicate. Make a point of spending time together each day with each other. Make it a daily family meal, an after dinner walk, or a daily discussion of what’s going one in each other’s lives. A simple connection with a loved one each day can improve your mood, and reduce stress.
- Bonus Habit: Play Time. And finally, if you have a choice between housework and playing with your kids, we recommend you always choose playing.
This article first appeared in the September 2018 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.