This quick and healthy recipe is an easy lunch to take to work, school or wherever your day takes you.
Eat it by itself or pack it in your bento box as we suggest for a full, satisfying meal you’ll love.
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp hummus
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 ½ cups shredded lettuce
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1 whole wheat or gluten-free tortilla
- Mix chickpeas, garlic powder and BBQ sauce over medium heat until the chickpeas seem soft enough to mash.
- Combine hummus, maple syrup and lime juice in a medium-sized bowl, stirring until well-mixed.
- Add lettuce to bowl of hummus dressing, stirring until the lettuce is fully coated.
- Place chickpeas, lettuce mixture and diced tomato on tortilla, wrapping tightly.
- Cut chickpea wrap in half and place in the largest container of your bento box.
- Fill the second bento box container with your favorite vegetable(s) — we recommend a mixture of sliced carrots, cucumbers and celery.
- Fill the smallest container with additional hummus or a side of low-fat ranch to dip your vegetables in.
This article first appeared in the July/August 2019 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.