When you or a loved one is going through a health crisis, it can be daunting. You may want a better understanding of exactly what is wrong, or what something means. Enter the Health Library and Resource Center (HLRC) at El Camino Hospital. Our staff is dedicated to helping patients, families and the community find the resources and information the need to make informed decisions about their health. Here are some of the services offered free of charge:
- If you need help doing research, give the medical librarians a call at 650-940-7379 (Mountain View) or 408-866-4044 (Los Gatos) or click here with your information request. They are available to help find research, articles and medical journals to help you better understand medical conditions, information on clinical trials, and much more.
- The Internet
While internet searches at home can be helpful, the HLRC at El Camino Hospital has access to subscription–only databases specializing in clinical and consumer health. You’ll be able to access the databases, print out articles and send information to loved ones for free.
- Members only Databases
- Medline with full text - designed for doctors, this database provides nearly 3,400 full-text journals, covering virtually all areas of medical study.
- Health Source: Consumer edition - this database is the richest collection of consumer health information available to libraries world-wide, featuring articles from 150 journals.
- Up-to-Date (available only at the library) - this exceptional resource provides clinical and patient education. Physician editors maintain and update the content by reviewing hundreds of journals.
Health Library Catalog
Look up the books, DVDs, and journals available in our Library Catalogue.
The Health Library and Resource Center also provides access to health services that are important to the wellness and prevention of illness to our entire community.
- Consult the Dietitian
Good nutrition is important for the maintenance of good health. Our dietitian will meet with you in a private consultation to review your current diet and evaluate your nutritional status.
- Eldercare Services
Eldercare services help older adults and their family caregivers find all the resources they need. Our eldercare counselors are familiar with all the organizations and programs serving older adults in the local area, so they can link you with resources that are affordable, efficient and proven.
- Advance Health Care Directives
We offer free consultations to help you create this important document.
- Medicare Consultations
Free Medicare Insurance Counseling by trained HICAP COUNSELORS is provided by phone to assist individuals in applying for and using Medicare Insurance. Counseling sessions are by phone and require an appointment. Please call 650-940-7210 to schedule an appointment
To book an appointment for one of these services, please call the HLRC at 650-940-7210.