- 2 cups cubed, peeled sweet potato or 2 cups frozen carrots
- 2 cups small cauliflower florets
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Madras curry powder
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 (16 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (13.5 oz) can light coconut milk
- 1 (14 oz) package extra-firm tofu, drained
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Place root vegetables, cauliflower, onion, curry powder, ginger, salt, garlic, fish sauce, chickpeas, peas and coconut milk in an electric slow cooker; stir well. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Press tofu to reduce excess moisture. Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut tofu into (1-inch) cubes and arrange them in a single layer on a large parchment paper-lined baking sheet. bake, flipping halfway through, until golden brown and just crisp, about 40 minutes total.
- Add tofu to vegetable mixture in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 30 minutes.
- Spoon rice into bowls and ladle curry evenly over the rice. Garnish with cilantro and, if desired, black pepper.
This recipe first appeared in the August/September 2015 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.