- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped leeks
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cream of chicken soup
- 1-2 cups water
- 3/4 cup wild or long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 cups shredded leftover turkey
- In a medium pot, sauté mushrooms and leeks in olive oil for 3 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Stir in broth and water. Bring to a boil then add rice, carrots, and celery. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add shredded turkey and cream of chicken soup. Stir in basil and cook for 10 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Serve hot. Yield: 6 servings.
This recipe first appeared in the November 2013 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.