What better way to start the spring season than by cooking with your favorite spring vegetables? This delicious pasta recipe uses vegetables that are now in-season like asparagus, peas, lettuce, and more.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- ½ pound spring onions, sliced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ pounds asparagus, diced
- 2 cups shelled fresh peas
- 1 pound of spaghetti pasta (or whatever you prefer)
- 1 head butter lettuce, sliced
- ½ cup shredded, shaved or grated Parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large skillet, add olive oil and butter to melt over medium heat.
- And sliced onions and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sauté onions until tender — about five minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add white wine. Simmer for about three minutes until liquid is reduced to a glaze.
- Add chicken broth, bringing to a simmer. Set mixture aside.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook asparagus until tender — about four minutes. Drain and transfer to a new bowl.
- Boil peas in water and cook until tender — about two minutes. Drain and add to bowl of asparagus.
- Add lettuce to onion mixture, stirring until wilted — about one minute.
- Combine asparagus, peas, cooked pasta, parmesan, and parsley in large serving bowl. Toss and season with salt and pepper before serving.
Makes 4 Servings.
This article first appeared in the May 2019 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.