Persimmons are packed with antioxidants, colorful, and delicious – and they're at their peak right now! This easy salad is great for every day but is also a perfect side dish for your Thanksgiving meal.
- 4 ripe Fuyu persimmons
- 4 cups arugula
- 4 cups baby spinach (can substitute other salad greens if desired)
- 1 medium red onion
- ½ cup of pecan or walnut halves, toasted and chopped
- ½ cup of feta, crumbled
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and diced into ½ chunks
- 1½ cups of pomegranate arils (seeds from one medium pomegranate, reserve juice)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons pomegranate juice (can substitute fresh squeezed orange juice)
- 1 Tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Finely slice onion and place in a bowl of ice water for 15-20 minutes to remove some of the bite, then drain well. Cut persimmons into 8-12 wedges each, depending on the size of the fruit. (NOTE: no need to peel the persimmons unless you prefer to – the skin is perfectly edible!) Whisk together all of the vinaigrette ingredients until emulsified and set aside to assemble salad.
- Combine arugula, spinach and red onion in a large serving bowl. Gently toss in persimmon wedges, feta, avocado and toasted nuts. Scatter pomegranate seeds on top, and drizzle with vinaigrette. Add a few grinds of black pepper and serve immediately.
This article first appeared in the November 2023 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.