Getting away as a family is important for everyone — you get quality time, it’s a time to lay back and relax, memories are created, and new experiences are had. It’s easy to make excuses not to plan a family vacation, whether it be finances, too much work, or planning one simply seems daunting. Luckily, we’ve put together a list of local getaways and larger getaways to get the creative juices flowing.
Keeping it local
We get it: sometimes it’s easier, not to mention more affordable, to stick closer to home. Here are some ideas in and around Santa Clara County:
- California’s Great America – Like rollercoasters? Make it a day trip, or stay at a local hotel and stretch out the attractions over the course of several days. This theme park offers rides, attractions, a water park, and dining opportunities. There are also rides appropriate for younger children at Planet Snoopy.
- Almaden Quicksilver County Park – A county park encompassing 4,163 acres, and the site of 135 years of mining activities. The park includes over 37 miles of hiking trails, 30 miles of equestrian trails and 16 miles of bike trails. Take a picnic lunch and enjoy the day by stepping into the past.
- Football Package – Have a family of football fanatics? Take a few days and attend an event or two at Levi’s Stadium — where Super Bowl 50 was played — and visit the 49ers Museum.
- Take a Staycation – Let’s be honest, sometimes taking a few extra days at home can be as relaxing as traveling and staying elsewhere. Plus, you can enjoy some of the local events such as the free Concerts in the Park at the Central Park Pavilion or local Farmer’s Markets.
Expand Your Horizons
If you have more time and flexibility for your family vacation, here are some destinations that are rated some of the best family vacations by U.S. News:
- San Diego – You can fly here or make it a fun road trip (it’s about 8 hours). Parents and kids alike can choose from an array of free and low-cost attractions such as several beaches and must-see things like the San Diego Zoo.
- Grand Canyon – For the more adventurous at heart, this is definitely a family bucket list destination. You’ll have to book your hotel or campsites well in advance since the area gets crowded in the spring and summer, but the hikes and the views won’t disappoint.
- Yellowstone – This National Park is also a must-see destination for the family. Like the Grand Canyon, you can either stay at a hotel or camp. The park has over 3,000 square miles of geysers, waterfalls, and local wildlife to explore.
- Branson, Missouri – You read that right. It might sound like a strange destination, but Branson is ranked #1 by U.S. News as the best affordable family vacation. It’s described as the “family-friendly Las Vegas” because of the vast number of kid-approved attractions.
Whatever getaway you and your family decide on — close-to-home or farther away, short or long, expensive or more affordable — you’ll be spending time with each other and enjoying something new.
This article first appeared in the May 2018 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.