This slow cooker recipe is a quick and easy meal to prepare on any busy autumn day.
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- Combine squash, carrot, onion, apple, garlic, and sage in a large slow cooker. Pour in vegetable broth and season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of cayenne, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Cook until tender—about 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Remove sage sprig and stir in coconut milk.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. You can use a traditional blender if necessary, but be sure the blender isn’t too full when blending hot liquids.
- Add extra salt and pepper to taste, as needed.
- Top with your favorite garnish, serve warm, and enjoy!
This article first appeared in the November 2018 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.