Try this nutritious recipe!
- 1 package extra-firm tofu
- 1 tbsp water
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Black pepper
- Water, to thin
- Fresh fruit
- Roasted potatoes
- “Press” tofu: wrap tofu in a clean, absorbent towel, and then place something heavy on top, such as a cast-iron skillet, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce by adding dry spices to a small bowl and adding enough water (~2 tablespoons) to make a pourable sauce. Set aside and prep the vegetables.
- Warm a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the water, onion and bell pepper. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add kale and cover to steam for 2 minutes.
- In the meantime, un-wrap the tofu and place on a cutting board. Use a fork to crumble the tofu into bite-sized pieces.
- Add tofu to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes. Then add the sauce and corn, and stir immediately to evenly distribute. Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes until the tofu is slightly browned.
- Serve immediately with fresh fruit and/or roasted potatoes. Top scramble with salsa and cilantro if desired.
- Re-purpose leftovers into burritos and freeze for a convenient breakfast option. Scoop filling in the center of a whole grain tortilla, fold in the edges, then roll up, and wrap in foil. Store in the freezer and reheat in the oven at 350 F for 15 minutes.