Suggested Cooking Method: oven
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
- 1 Egg white (discard the yolk)
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Unroasted & Unsalted Almonds
- 1 1/2 cups Walnut halves (pecan halves or whole cashews can be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne red pepper (double this if you really like it hot!)
- Preheat the oven to 250-degrees. Generously coat a nonstick baking sheet with canola oil cooking spray.
- In mixing bowl, beat the egg white until foamy. Add the almonds and walnuts and toss well to coat. In small measuring cup, combine the brown sugar, seasoning salt, curry, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper and blend well with a fork. Add to the nuts mixture and stir to combine everything well.
- Spread the nuts on the baking sheet and bake for 50 minutes, stirring after 30 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes, and then break into smaller pieces. When completely cool, place in an airtight container and store for up to 1 week.
Servings per Recipe: 14
Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Calories 167, Total Fat 14.5 g, Saturated Fat 1.3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 7 g (Omega-3s 1 g), Monounsaturated Fat 5.8 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 59 mg, Potassium 160 mg, Total Carbohydrate 6.5 g, Dietary Fiber 3 g, Sugars 3 g, Protein 5 g
This article first appeared in the April 2017 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.