It's peak season for asparagus, and this light and lovely salad really highlights it!
- 1 large bunch of thin asparagus, sliced on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces
- 1 15 oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 6 cups of spring lettuce mix
- 5 radishes, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in halves or quarters
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup chopped, toasted pistachios
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 2-3 springs of thyme
- 3 small garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, plus ½ teaspoon zest
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Blanch the asparagus in a large pot of boiling water for 60 seconds. Immediately drain the asparagus and transfer it into a bowl of ice water for another 60 seconds to stop it from cooking and preserve the bright green color. Drain the asparagus and lay it on paper towels to dry.
- Combine the asparagus, chickpeas, radishes, onions, and tomatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- Put all of the dressing ingredients into a blender or food processor and pulse until the mixture is smooth and emulsified.
- Toss the vegetables with about half of the dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the salad greens on a platter, then mound the vegetables on top. Just before serving, sprinkle the feta cheese and pistachios evenly over the top of the vegetables, then drizzle with the remaining dressing.
This article first appeared in the April 2023 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.