This month introduces exercise as a second “pillar” of Cancer Healthy. Consider starting your day with your choice of exercise followed by a nourishing on-the-go breakfast. Overnight oats combine 3 food groups (whole grain, protein and fruit). These nourishing and satisfying morning meals can be pre-made for the week. The varieties are endless. If you don’t care for a cold oats breakfast, consider warming slightly in the microwave.
Makes 1 Serving
Overnight Oat Base:
- ½ Cup Rolled Oats, old fashioned (not the quick variety)
- 3-4 ounces liquid of choice, e.g. cow or plant milk such as almond, coconut or soy
- ½ cup yogurt (can substitute soy or coconut yogurt to make lactose free)
- 1 Tbsp. ground Flax, Hemp or Chia seeds for extra protein, fiber and Omega 3’s
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Sweetener (if desired): 1 T maple syrup, 2 tsp Agave Nectar or Truvia
- Add the oat base ingredients to a pint-sized mason jar or other container with a lid and give them a good stir.
- Layer your choice of additions.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Keeps up to 4 days if without banana.
Layer extra ingredients on top of oat base.
Choose one of the following combinations or create your own.
- ½ cup fruit of choice, frozen fruit works great such as mixed berries, blueberries,strawberries, mango, peaches
- 2 T raisins
1 T nuts, chopped walnuts or pecans
2 T grated carrots
- ½ C applesauce or pumpkin puree
- Make it chocolate by adding 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder.
Just before eating, add a sliced banana and top with nuts