- 1 Pound whole wheat bread dough (our favorite is Trader Joe’s)
- 2 medium zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 medium red, green or yellow sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or cooking oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1 8-ounce can pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pitted green and/or black olives
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, provolone or Monterey Jack cheese (4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- For dough: Place bread dough on lightly floured surface and let rest 10 minutes. Roll into a 12-inch round on a lightly floured surface, building up edges slightly. (Be careful not to stretch too far; however, if a hole appears, you can pinch it back together with your fingers.) Transfer pizza circle to a greased baking sheet. Using the tines of a fork, prick dough over entire surface. Bake about 8 minutes or until set but not browned.
- Meanwhile, for veggies in a large skillet, cook and stir zucchini or squash and sweet pepper in hot oil for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add mushrooms and onions. Cook and stir 2 minutes more or until just tender. Remove from heat. Stir in tomatoes.
- Spread pizza sauce on hot crust to within 1 inch of edge. Using a slotted spoon, spoon zucchini mixture over sauce. Top with olives. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted. Makes one 12-inch pizza, 6 servings.
This recipe first appeared in the June 2016 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.