Cozy up and enjoy a hearty bowl of anti-inflammatory sweet potato and quinoa chili!
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 (12 oz) sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 poblano peppers, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped or minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 1 (10 oz) can salt-free diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 (15 oz) can salt-free pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ tsp salt
- Sliced jalapeño peppers, cilantro and yogurt for serving
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium to high heat. Add sweet potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 7 minutes or until slightly softened and charred.
- Add onions and poblanos. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Add garlic, chili powder and cumin. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add broth, tomatoes, green chiles and 1 cup water. Cover, increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Stir in quinoa, beans and salt. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until the quinoa is tender, adding the remaining 1 cup of water within the last 3 minutes of cooking time.
- Garnish with jalapeño peppers, cilantro and yogurt. Enjoy!
This article first appeared in the March 2022 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.