There is no screening test, and symptoms are often vague and easy to dismiss. That’s why September is “Teal Toes” month. Paint your toenails a vibrant shade of teal to serve as a reminder to yourself and others that these early symptoms of ovarian cancer can’t be ignored:
- Abdominal pressure, fullness, swelling or bloating
- Pelvic discomfort or pain
- Persistent indigestion, gas or nausea
- Changes in bowel habits
- Changes in bladder habits
- Loss of appetite or quickly feeling full
- Persistent fatigue
- Low back pain
If you experience symptoms for two weeks or more, contact your physician immediately to be referred to an El Camino Hospital affiliated physician.
This article first appeared in the September 2013 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.