There is no screening test, and symptoms are often vague and easy to dismiss. That’s why September is “Teal Toes” month. Paint your toenails a vibrant shade of teal to serve as a reminder to yourself and others that these early symptoms of ovarian cancer can’t be ignored:
- Abdominal pressure, fullness, swelling or bloating
- Pelvic discomfort or pain
- Persistent indigestion, gas or nausea
- Changes in bowel habits
- Changes in bladder habits
- Loss of appetite or quickly feeling full
- Persistent fatigue
- Low back pain
If you experience symptoms for two weeks or more, contact your physician immediately, or call 800-216-5556 to be referred to an El Camino Hospital affiliated physician.
This article first appeared in the September 2013 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.