- 4 medium-large zucchinis, trimmed
- ¾ tsp salt, divided
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- ¼ pine nuts, toasted
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic, quartered
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Using a spiral vegetable slicer, zucchini lengthwise into long, thin strands. You can cut the strands a bit if they get too long. Place the zucchini in a colander and toss with ¼ tsp salt. Let drain for 15 to 30 minutes, then gently squeeze to remove any excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, place basil, toasted pine nuts, Parmesan, ¼ cup oil, lemon juice, garlic, pepper and ¼ tsp salt in a food processor. Process until almost smooth.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken in one layer; sprinkle with the remaining ¼ tsp salt. Cook, stirring, until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in 3 Tbsp of the pesto.
- Add the remaining 1 Tbsp oil to the pan. Add the drained zucchini noodles and toss gently until hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the chicken. Add the remaining pesto and toss gently to coat.
This article first appeared in the July/August 2018 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.