Specialization in Women's Healthcare
Whether you're in need of gynecologic care, are thinking about becoming pregnant, are pregnant or are beyond childbearing years, a CNM can be a vital part of your overall healthcare team.
El Camino Health's certified nurse-midwives are registered nurses specifically trained in women's healthcare. They’ve graduated from a nurse-midwifery education program accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education (ACME) and have passed a national certification exam that meets strict requirements set by state and national health agencies.
Comprehensive Services for Women
Our highly trained and experienced certified nurse-midwives offer comprehensive women's healthcare services, including:
- Annual well-woman gynecologic exams
- Breast exams
- Pap smears
- In office pelvic ultrasounds
- Family planning
- Contraceptive guidance, including IUD and Nexplanon placement
- Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) and other gynecologic infection treatment
- Abnormal uterine bleeding management and treatment
- Support during the perimenopause and menopausal transition
- Referrals for pelvic floor physical therapy, bone density testing, mammograms, and lab testing
- Strong community integration including close working relationships and available referrals for acupuncture, chiropractic, and body workers
- Initial infertility testing and referrals
- Laboratory request for sperm analysis
- Intrauterine insemination
- Pregnancy testing and counseling
- Initial pregnancy evaluation and full prenatal care
- Prenatal screening for fetal genetic syndromes
- In office obstetric ultrasound and fetal non-stress tests
- Vaginal delivery
- Cesarean delivery surgical assist
- Postpartum care
Pregnancy Care That's Personalized and Personal
The birth of your baby is a deeply personal experience. When you partner with an El Camino Health nurse-midwife, you'll work together to develop a birth plan that's both safe and customized to your preferences. Your midwife will guide you through the challenges and joys of pregnancy and delivery in a way that respects your personal values.
While the premise of midwifery is based around natural methods, we firmly support every mother's choice throughout her pregnancy, delivery and beyond. Our midwives are licensed to prescribe a full range of medications and treatments to induce labor and relieve pain.
The midwives host a monthly tea and orientation as an introduction to the midwifery services provided to moms and their families. This is a great opportunity to ask questions and meet the midwives. You can see a list of upcoming introductory sessions and register to attend here.
Part of Your Overall Care Team
Our midwives are licensed to prescribe a full range of medications and treatments. During labor, you have the same choices for pain relief – and inducing labor if necessary – as you have with an obstetrician. As members of the El Camino Health care team, our midwives maintain a close relationship with obstetricians, maternal-fetal medicine specialist, and other clinicians to ensure that a specialist is available around the clock if complications arise.
Proven Benefits of Delivering with a Nurse-Midwife
Our midwives are focused on maintaining the best conditions possible for a safe, healthy outcome for you and your baby.
El Camino Health enjoys very impressive birth statistics in part due to our midwifery services. Multiple sources, including the National Institute of Health, the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and the March of Dimes, have reported that the participation of nurse-midwives during pregnancy and delivery often results in:
- Fewer cesarean deliveries
- Less intervention (induction, augmentation of labor)
- Fewer episiotomies and postpartum complications
- Fewer preterm births
- More success with vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC)