For practical remedies, try these tips.
- Encourage your child to express his or her feelings.
- Teach your child to problem-solve.
- Remind your child that he or she has family support and has the skills to get through difficult times.
- Enlist the help of your child’s teacher.
- Monitor television programs, movies, and video games that might be ramping up your child’s stress levels.
- If your child continues to be stressed, seek help.
Source: National Association of School Psychologists
The Power of Partnerships
El Camino Hospital collaborates with organizations throughout this region to offer mental health programs serving those in need. These partners include schools, senior centers, nursing homes, community organizations (including those focused on mental health), support groups, local detox facilities, and midwives groups and birthing centers. Examples include Momentum for Mental Health, Family and Children’s Services of Santa Clara County, the Santa Clara Unified School District, and ASPIRE.
This article first appeared in the Fall 2015 edition of the El Camino Hospital Health Beat magazine.