An infant stays healthy and up to date on her immunizations because a community vaccine program gets a boost. A teen with suicidal intentions gets mental health counseling at school, which targets issues around drugs, bullying, and family dysfunction, and may well have saved his life. A senior counts on getting a ride to medical appointments, even to the grocers, which supports her independence.
Through its annual funding of a variety of community benefits programs and services, El Camino Hospital supports health and wellness throughout our service area — helping prevent disease, supporting wellness at every life stage, and ensuring that all community members have access to high-quality care. In 2015, the hospital earmarked more than $52 million toward achieving these goals (including more than $2 million in grants), says Barbara Avery, Director of Community Benefit.
"El Camino Hospital has a robust and extensive program," says Avery. "Our priorities are healthcare access, mental health, healthy eating and active living, and community health education."
"If we weren't funding these services, it's unlikely there would be another source to address these health challenges," adds Garrick Wong, community benefit specialist. "Overall, El Camino Hospital is having a huge impact on community health."
The 2015 Community Benefit Report details El Camino Hospital's grantmaking efforts, as well as those of the El Camino Healthcare District. View the report.
Paying it Forward
El Camino Hospital and El Camino Healthcare District collaborate with local nonprofits and community partners, including the following recipients of community benefits funding for the 2015 fiscal year.
- 5210 Health Awareness Program
- Asian Americans for Community Involvement
- Bay Area Women's Sports Initiative (BAWSI)
- Campbell Union School District - Nurse
- Challenge Diabetes Program
- Chinese Health Initiative
- Community Services Agency –Mountain View
- Cupertino Union School District –Nurse and counseling services
- Early Head Start
- EMQ Families First - Campbell Union High School District
- Falls Prevention in Santa Clara County
- Foster Children Orthodontic Program
- Health Library & Resource Center – El Camino Hospital Los Gatos
- Medical Respite
- Momentum for Mental Health
- Peninsula HealthCare Connection
- Santa Clara Unified Ed School District - Counseling services
- South Asian Heart Center
- West Valley Community Services
This article first appeared in the Fall 2015 edition of the El Camino Hospital Health Beat magazine.