After a period of partying and holiday splurging, now's the perfect time to assess your well being and prioritize your health for 2022.
As New Year parties come to a close and the holidays wind down, are you feeling more exhausted than usual? The holidays can bring unhealthy food, more alcohol consumption, poor-quality sleep and less exercise.
Take hold of your health by assessing which areas of your life can improve:
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet. The holidays can bring good times and delicious foods that often contain high amounts of sugar and unhealthy fat. Partaking in these treats isn’t a bad thing, but it's easy to over-indulge. Now's the perfect time to rethink your nutrition. Add more fruits, vegetables, lean protein and complex carbohydrates to your meals. Try some of El Camino Health's healthy recipes. We also offer various wellness programs with experienced healthcare professionals.
- Focus on hydration. Your body depends on water to survive. Every cell, tissue, and organ in your body needs water to work properly. However, many are still not getting enough. Focus on drinking at least 6-8 cups of water each day.
- Prioritize good quality sleep. Festivities (while fun) can also make it difficult to get enough high-quality sleep every night. This area of your health is critical and impacts other facets of your life, such as your ability to focus and remember. If you have prolonged trouble getting enough sleep every night, consider speaking with a specialist. The sleep specialists at El Camino Health understand that while sleep problems are common, each person's situation is unique and requires individualized care.
- Exercise regularly. What does exercising regularly look like? Adults should be exercising for at least 150 minutes of low-moderate aerobic each week, or 75 minutes of intense activity. This may seem like a lot at first, but break it up! 150 minutes every week is 30 minutes for 5 days a week. If you already work out that much, try new exercises that focus on different areas of the body. The health benefits of exercise are endless, but some include:
- Reducing your risk of heart disease and other chronic illness
- Improving energy levels
- Helping to maintain mental health as you age
- Lowering your risk of some cancers
- Strengthening your body
El Camino Health offers virtual classes (including exercise classes) that can assist your health. Keep an eye on our wellness calendar for classes and events that you might be interested in.
This article first appeared in the January 2022 edition of the HealthPerks newsletter.