Volunteer Job - Heart Health Coach
Heart Health Coaching at the South Asian Heart Center is a pivotal role that facilitates lifestyle transformations in participants who seek to reduce health risk, improve weight, and promote wellness. The Coach encourages dialog, discusses challenges, and brainstorms solutions that they are likely to commit, adopt and sustain. Using Motivational Interviewing and the Baby Step approach, coaches manage change at a suitable, participant driven pace. Studies show that behavioral changes are easier with regular follow up by health coaches. Our data shows that culturally competent health coaching helped participants achieve statistically significant improvement in clinical markers and lifestyle behaviors.
Give Back to the Community
This is an exciting opportunity to give back to the community, work with an amazing team of healthcare experts and community activists, engage in telehealth and leading edge technologies, enhance communication and behavioral skills, strengthen clinical knowledge, and make lifelong friendships with those with similar purpose and diverse backgrounds.
- Connect with assigned participants to build trust, and to facilitate lifestyle/behavior change
- Intervene as appropriate with education, assessments, and consultations with experts
- Encourage prior participants to stay engaged with annual checkups in pursuit of their health
- Update EMR to document after visit summaries
- Obtain testimonials and leads from participants to help market the Center to a wider audience
- Initiate and participate in community and corporate outreach, social media, fundraising, and analytics
- College degree
- Keen interest and enthusiasm in prevention and lifestyle medicine
- Exceptional conversational and written English skills
- Excellent typing and computer skills, including hands on experience with online applications, and shared documents such as Google Suite
- Comfortable with initiating and navigating with video conferencing application such as Zoom
- Positive and confident attitude, strong work ethic, and ability to work independently or in a team
- Knowledge of one or more South Asian languages is preferred
- Experience in counseling, motivational interviewing, and healthcare is a plus
- Minimum duration of 12 months
- Formal training for first 3 weeks, 30-40 hours/week
- Flexible schedule of 12 hours/weekdays 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Remote work available for candidates who are able to provide a secure, quiet and uninterrupted work area compliant with HIPAA guidelines