So we've created a personal and confidential environment designed to encourage the discussion of men's most sensitive health issues — issues that are often more complex than you realize.
Your body is an intricate system of interdependent functions. One condition may actually be a symptom of another, underlying, disorder. For example, erectile dysfunction often signals a problem in the heart and vascular system requiring the attention of a cardiologist, a urologist and perhaps other specialists as well.
That's why our approach concerns itself with the big picture of your health. At El Camino Health, care is personalized, and goes more broadly and deeply into men's health than most such programs. Ours is a collaborative effort among specialists from a wide range of practices — all of them experienced in male-specific conditions.
To help find the true source of your health problem, we call upon experts in the areas of:
- Cardiovascular. Disorders of the heart and vascular system can lead to issues elsewhere in the body, such a reduced blood flow.
- Ear, nose and throat (ENT). Dizziness, allergies, hearing loss — these modest issues can have a profound impact on men’s health.
- Gastroenterology (GI). Problems of the digestive system, acid reflux and heartburn are more common as men age.
- Internal medicine. Specialists in internal medicine look at the bigger picture of your overall health.
- Orthopedics. Experts in injuries or disorders of the skeletal system, muscles, joints and ligaments help us diagnose and treat golfers, gardeners and weekend warriors.
- Sexual dysfunction. It’s a common condition men often hesitate to discuss, yet in most cases it’s treatable.
- Sleep disorders. Sleep apnea in men is often part of the same spectrum of conditions as erectile dysfunction.
- Urology. Comprehensive care for conditions affecting the male urinary and reproductive systems.
Men's Health Program
Because the Men's Health Program at El Camino Health began with a focus on urology, our efforts are led by fellowship-trained, board-certified urologists, and supported by a highly rated, hospital-based urology specialty.
As one of the first comprehensive men's health programs in California and the country, it has broadened to encompass a wider range of care, delivered by a diverse team of doctors dedicated to men's health issues — skilled at observation, diagnosis and the latest therapies and treatments.
Program highlights include:
- A private entrance and confidential environment.
- Advanced laboratory facilities and diagnostic imaging.
- Innovative technologies to treat enlargement of the prostate (known as benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH) and resulting urinary problems, such as the newest and most sophisticated GreenLight XPS™ Laser, PlasmaButton™ for transurethral vaporization of the prostate (TUVP) and the minimally invasive UroLift® method.
- Outstanding diagnostic evaluations and a full range of treatment options for erectile dysfunction and low testosterone, including a full spectrum of therapies, surgical options and penile implants.
- Advanced expertise in the diagnosis and treatment of Peyronie's Disease (scar tissue inside the penis that causes curved painful erections).
- A full range of treatments for the removal of kidney stones with minimally invasive lithotripsy procedures, including ESWL and ISWL.
- A special focus on men’s pelvic health, with specialized treatment techniques for pelvic pain and dysfunction.
Latest Treatment Option for Prostate Cancer
High-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) is a new, non-invasive procedure for men with certain types of prostate cancer. HIFU offers effective treatment for prostate cancer with reduced risk of side effects. Instead of surgery or radiation, this innovative FDA-approved treatment uses sound waves to locate and destroy prostate cancer.
The benefits of HIFU include less damage to nearby nerves, blood vessels, urinary function and sexual function. Most men only need to undergo one HIFU treatment, which lasts two or three hours. You'll be able to return home the same day.
As the first community-based health system in the Bay Area to offer HIFU treatment, we are committed to staying on the leading edge of care so you can live life to its fullest. Speak with your El Camino Health men's health provider to see if this treatment may be right for you.