El Camino Health has a long history of caring for the women in our community. Our goal is to provide seamless, comprehensive, coordinated care for women. Gynecologic health is a key element in a woman’s overall well-being. That’s why we offer everything — from preventive gynecologic care to the most advanced treatments.
The El Camino Health Difference
At El Camino Health, we’re experts in caring for women.
- We’re nationally recognized for our gynecologic care. U.S. News & World Report recognized us for gynecology and ranked El Camino Health as one of the best hospitals for 2014-15 in the San Jose, California, metropolitan area.
- We lead the region in robotic gynecologic procedures. Our specialized team has logged more procedures than any other in Northern California, and we’re the only center with two gynecology/oncology robotic surgeons.
- Our surgeons serve as proctors in robotic-assisted surgery. Because surgeons at El Camino Health perform the most robotic-assisted surgeries in Northern California — more than 7,000 procedures — surgeons from other hospitals come to us for training to refine their surgical techniques.
- We offer specialized care for women's pelvic health. Our multidisciplinary team offers expert care for the medical, emotional and social issues related to pelvic health. Our doctors work closely with physical therapists, nutritionists and other clinicians to provide personalized treatment.
Preventive Gynecologic Care
Preventive care can go a long way toward protecting your health. Regular pelvic exams can lead to the early detection of many conditions. Often times, a Pap test is performed along with your routine pelvic exam. Pap tests are highly effective in detecting cervical cancer; however, they can’t detect other forms of cancer. So, it’s important to report any unusual symptoms you may experience to your doctor. Women are encouraged to begin getting Pap tests starting at age 21. Talk to your doctor about the best preventive care plan for you.
When medication and noninvasive procedures are unable to relieve symptoms, surgery can offer an effective treatment for a range of gynecologic conditions.
Gynecologic conditions that may require surgery include:
- Cervical cancer
- Endometrial cancer
- Menorrhagia (excessive bleeding)
- Ovarian cancer
- Pelvic prolapse
- Uterine cancer
- Uterine fibroids
Minimally Invasive Surgery for Women
For many years, the only way to perform gynecologic procedures was through open surgery, which requires large incisions to gain access to the uterus and surrounding areas. This invasive procedure can lead to complications and result in pain and a long recovery.
Technological advances have made less invasive options more widely available. Surgeons are now able to perform some gynecologic procedures through the vagina, eliminating the need for incisions all together. In some instances, laparoscopic surgery can be an option. Laparoscopic surgery enables your doctor to operate through one or more tiny incisions using an instrument called a laparoscope — a small tube fitted with a tiny camera and surgical tools. Your doctor performs the operation with great precision using high-definition video images from the camera.
For some complex gynecologic procedures, robotic-assisted surgery — using the da Vinci® Surgical System — may be the most effective, least invasive treatment option. The da Vinci Surgical System affords surgeons greater flexibility in their surgical technique, which often translates into better results for women who choose this option.
Benefits of Surgery Using the da Vinci Surgical System
The da Vinci Surgical System offers your surgeon the ability to operate through tiny incisions with greater precision than would be possible with open surgery. The system provides your surgeon a magnified, 3-D view and translates his or her hand movements into smaller, more precise movements of the surgical instruments inside your body. The da Vinci system cannot act on its own — surgery is performed entirely by your surgeon.
For most women, benefits of robotic-assisted surgery over open surgery can include:
Less pain, blood loss and scarring.
Quicker recovery and a shorter hospital stay.
These procedures may not be appropriate for everyone. Always ask your doctor about all treatment options, as well as their risks and benefits. You can rest assured that surgeons at El Camino Health always use the least invasive techniques possible and take every precaution to protect your health and comfort during surgery.
El Camino Health: Leaders in the Field
El Camino Health performs the most robotic gynecologic surgeries in Northern California. Our dedicated surgical team is on the front line of the latest advances in robotic-assisted procedures.