Both men and women experience pelvic health issues such as urinary incontinence and pelvic pain, particularly as they get older. The good news is that these conditions can be treated with specialized exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles.
At El Camino Health, our physical therapists have advanced training in pelvic floor anatomy and conditions. They can evaluate your musculoskeletal system and develop a personalized treatment plan, which can help you develop a stronger pelvic core and abdomen, strengthen bladder control, and improve sexual health.
Our physical therapists draw from a variety of techniques to help alleviate pelvic health problems, including:
- Education about how pelvic floor muscles are involved in pelvic health.
- Posture correction and education.
- Specialized exercises to strengthen pelvic floor muscles, including the use of gentle electrical stimulation of muscles or nerves and biofeedback. Therapists also provide instructions for home exercise.
- Diet and bathroom habit modifications.
- Relaxation techniques.
- Bladder retraining exercises.
With a doctor’s referral, our physical therapists can provide one-on-one sessions to address pelvic pain or urinary incontinence.
In addition, El Camino Health offers women’s pelvic health classes that cover topics such as postpartum wellness and incontinence — both free classes. We’re also the county’s only provider of the Total Control® Program, a seven-week pelvic strengthening class for women. For more information about women’s pelvic health classes, call 650-940-7285.