Professional Help & Resources

Mental Health Services 101「心理健康服務入門課」婚姻和家庭諮商師陳志美主講 | El Camino Health

Professional Help & Resources


Worry, fear, anger, and sadness are all normal, healthy emotions until they interfere with your ability to function. Then, the stress associated with these emotions can take a toll on your physical health, family, work, and other aspects of your daily life. If you’ve tried self-help remedies and still feel overwhelmed, it’s important to know where to go for help.

The Chinese community is uncomfortable asking for help. You prefer to be self-sufficient. But when your stress level becomes unhealthy, it’s time to reach out. It’s important to know that you are not alone -- trained professionals are available. 

Remember. Seeking help to improve your mental health is a sign of strength, not weakness.

The Chinese Health Initiative has collaborated with community partners and clinical experts to assemble the following resources to help you find the right care and professional support to ensure your emotional health and well-being.

Where to Start

  • Primary care Physician (PCP).  If you have a health plan, a good way to start is to initiate a conversation with your PCP. Your PCP can assess your symptoms and connect you with the appropriate care. That may include referral to a counselor or other behavioral health specialist. Your PCP can help differentiate between physical and emotional health symptoms, which can include fatigue, poor concentration, and sleep disturbances. If you do not have a PCP, you may want to find a Chinese-Speaking Physician in the Chinese Health Initiative Network. 
  • Employee Assistance Program (EAP): If you or your spouse are employed, you may have access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP). An EAP is a work-based program designed to assist employees, their spouse or domestic partner, and dependent children up to age 26 with a broad range of issues, such as relationship challenges, financial or legal problems, wellness concerns, stress, anxiety, and alcohol or substance misuse. Services may include counseling, coaching, and a wide range of self-help tools delivered at no cost to the employee or their dependents. Check to see if an EAP is one of your healthcare benefits. 
  • Local mental health services and providers are also available, including culturally sensitive and Chinese-speaking options.

Search for Chinese-speaking care provider: 

Mental Health Association for Chinese Communities (MHACC) Support Groups 

These support groups are currently held online and conducted in English or Chinese. For more information, call 800-881-8502 or learn more

Upward Counseling Center

Offering individual, couples, and family therapy conducted by licensed psychotherapists. Clinicians are fluent in Mandarin, Cantonese, and English. By appointment only. Please call 650-417-3675. Learn more. 

Mental Health Services at El Camino Health

Mental Health and Addiction Services, El Camino Health
It offers various programs to help people with mental health issues including Adult Mood ProgramOlder Adult Transitions Services, After-School Program Interventions and Resiliency Education® ASPIRE.

Mental Health Services by Counties

Santa Clara County

Behavioral Health Call Center (BHCC): 800-704-0900
It services as the centralized entry point for Santa Clara County residents who receive Medi-Cal or Medicare benefits, or have no insurance and seek behavioral health services. You can call them at 800-704-0900 for a referral to a county mental health or substance use treatment program, or a community-based organization. Translation services are available. 

When contacting the Call Center, they will do a brief screening, verify your Medi-Cal or Medicare insurance, and provide you with a referral during the call. The mental health provider from the referral will contact you within 10 business days to assist you in scheduling an appointment. If you require a Chinese-speaking provider, the wait time will depend on provider availability. Learn more

Behavioral Health Urgent Care (BHUC): 408-885-7855
2221 Enborg Lane, San Jose CA 95128
BHUC is a walk-in outpatient clinic for Santa Clara County residents who are experiencing behavioral health crisis and need help. You can visit this clinic for screening, assessment, crisis intervention, referral, and short-term treatment. They are open every day from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and provide services to anyone experiencing a behavioral health crisis, regardless of insurance or immigration status. Translation services are available.  Learn more. 

San Mateo County

Behavioral Health & Recovery Services: You can call their ACCESS Call Center at 800-686-0101 for 24/7 assistance. They also offer a local crisis line at 650-579-0350 for free, confidential emotional support. 

San Mateo County Health Resources including Chinese-Speaking Mental Health Practitioners in San Mateo County.

Alameda County

Asian Health Services510-735-3900
Offers mental health and substance use disorder treatment.

ACCESS Program: 800-491-9099  
Provides information, screening and referrals for mental health and substance use disorder treatment for Alameda County residents.

Mental Health Crisis & Intervention

988 – Crisis & Suicide Prevention Lifeline

If you are experiencing mental health or substance use crisis, having mental health distress including thoughts of suicide, or just need to talk, you can call 988 for support. The line provides interpretation for more than 200 languages, and trained counselors answer all calls to give needed support. Calls are anonymous and confidential. 988 is free and available 24/7 for anyone. 

Asian LifeNet Hotline877-990-8585 
Offers support in Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, and Fujianese. 

National Lifeline800-273-TALK (8255) 
Offers support in 150+ languages.

Enhance Your Emotional Well-Being Webinars

Workshops conducted in Mandarin by clinical psychologists where they outline practical suggestions that can strengthen physical and emotional well-being.

Recordings now available:

Watch other CHI Emotional Well-Being topics on YouTube.