There’s no denying that healthcare today is more complex than in years past, especially for older adults. Medical care is more advanced, and we have more ways of preventing and screening for conditions along with more options for treatment. Care is more specialized in many ways, which may require you to work with a variety of healthcare professionals and make more decisions about your health and healthcare.
Perhaps most important, today we realize the importance of including patients in decisions about their own care or their loved one’s — and providing the resources and services that empower people to remain independent for as long as possible.
The El Camino Health Difference
When you turn to El Camino Health for healthcare — whether you enter by having a hospital stay, or through referral to one of our specialists or with a visit to El Camino Health Primary Care — you’ll notice our difference.
We’ll introduce ourselves and ask a lot of questions so we can treat you the way you want to be treated. We’ll get to know you and make every effort to treat you like family. We’ll respect your background and preferences. And, we’ll make sure you have the information you need and access to resources that can make your life easier — here at the hospital, at home and in the community.
We’ll take care to make sure you understand what to expect during and after procedures, treatment and while you or your loved one are using recommended medication, and to answer any questions about technology, procedures, risks and side effects. And, we’ll work closely with you to ensure your treatment and experience aligns with your culture, preferences and belief system.
In addition, our auxiliary volunteers provide many services to help older adults and their families feel at home and find their way around.
We can help you with information about:
- Brain health and fitness. You can help keep your brain sharp and active by maintaining a healthy lifestyle and “exercising” your brain.
- Your care journey. Your healthcare may become more complex as you get older. We’ll smooth the way with highly coordinated care and support.
- Community resources. We can help you find all the services you need within El Camino Health or in the surrounding community.
- Elder abuse. Older adults are often the target of crime and fraud, as well as physical abuse and neglect. Know the signs and learn what you can do to stop it.
- Long-range care planning. Knowing what kind of care you want and letting your family know can bring peace of mind. We can show you how.
- Paying for care. We’re experienced working with Medicare and other health plans. We can help take the headache out of the process.
- Taking medications. Taking each medicine on time and in the right amount is critical. We have tools and information that can make it easier.
- Choosing a doctor. Finding the right primary care doctor is one of your most important healthcare decisions, so we offer tips to help.
You can access even more information about services at El Camino Health and the surrounding community through our Health Library & Resource Center. The center’s staff can help you find what you need, and can even work with you online or over the phone.